Monday, February 28, 2011

Q&A: What is the best hiking gear for extreme rain?



Your Ad Here





Question by Karmageddon: What is the best hiking gear for extreme rain?

For walking or hiking in extreme rain, I have 20" Neos Overshoes was wondering about other outer wear, hats, accessories, etc. TY.




Best answer:


Your Ad Here


Answer by c_kayak_fun
Gore-tex parka with underarm ventilating zippers, Gore-tex pants and a wide-brimmed hat. Wear polyester or polypropolene or light merino wool layers underneath to transfer the sweat and condensation that are inevitable. For colder rain I will also wear thick wool pants and/or jacket, like Woolrich or Pendleton hunting clothing, instead of Gore-tex. Even soaked through, wool stays warm and breathes better than the nylon shells. For my head I prefer a Filson packer waxed cotton hat (see link below):

http://duluthpack.com/filson-packer-hat.html

It won't absorb water but doesn't make your head sweat like nylon or Goretex will. Don't freak at the cost -- it will last you forever. Looks cool, too. :-)

Some people prefer a hat like salt water fisherman use with the big brim in the back but I find that dumps too much water on your pack.

Light nylon fleece gloves. Even if it isn't a cold rain, the drops hitting your hands after a while can drive you nuts.

My friends who have hiked in jungles and in Asian monsoon weather always take a sturdy collapsible umbrella that they tie to their backpack when the rain gets really heavy.

I'm a little concerned about using Neos though. I have a pair and they are great for soft snow and walking in rain on city streets, but I would hesitate to use them for a back country hike due to the poor traction on rock and muddy slopes. For wet hikes I use sturdy leather hiking boots well treated with SnoSeal wax and with waterproof nylon or Gore-tex knee-high gaiters over the tops. I'd rather have Vibram soles against a rough trail than those flimsy Neos soles. Always either merino wool or fluffy polyester socks.

And if it really rains hard for too long, I just stop, put up my tent, fire up my stove, make some tea and read a book until lets up.





Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Your Ad Here


No comments:

Post a Comment